Lemon Lime Pie
Prep Time: 1 hr + refrigeration + freezing.
Cook Time: 45 mins.
Watch My Kitchen Rules on Channel 7 and stream it for free on 7plus >>
Finely grated lime zest, to decorate
226g unsalted butter, softened
100g caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
390g plain flour
¼ tsp salt
8 egg yolks
2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
125ml lime juice
125ml lemon juice
1 tbs finely grated lime zest
1 tbs finely grated lime zest
2 tsp vanilla extract
Spiced Rum & Burnt Orange Sauce
2 large oranges, halved
Approx 80ml caster sugar, plus extra to sprinkle
Approx 80ml spiced golden rum
8 egg whites
1 tsp cream of tartar
400g caster sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180C. Lightly grease a 23cm round fluted tart pan with removable base.
2. To make pastry, using an electric mixer beat butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs and beat until combined. Add combined flour and salt and mix until pastry just comes together. Shape into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Roll pastry out onto a lightly floured surface and press into base and side of prepared pan. Trim edges. Freeze for 15 minutes.
4. Prick base of pie shell all over with a fork. Line with baking paper and fill with pastry weights or rice. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights. Return to oven for a further 10 minutes or until dry and crisp. Cool completely.
5. Reduce oven to 150C.
6. To make pie filling, whisk all ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and combined. Pour into cooled pie shell. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the filling is set but still has a slight jiggle in the centre. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for several hours or until firm, set and chilled.
7. Meanwhile, to make sauce, heat a frying pan over medium heat. Sprinkle cut-side of oranges with sugar and add to pan, cut-side down. Cook for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Squeeze oranges and place juice in a small saucepan. Add equal parts sugar and rum. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until thickened to form a syrup. Cool completely.
8. To make Italian meringue, whisk egg whites and cream of tartar in an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
9. Stir sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to 115C on a candy thermometer.
10. With motor operating, drizzle hot syrup into egg whites, whisking until meringue is thick and glossy. Transfer the meringue to a piping bag fitted with a 3.5cm-wide star shaped nozzle. Pipe over filling.
11. Using a blow torch, lightly toast the meringue. Alternatively, cook under a hot grill, on lowest shelf for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
12. Serve lemon lime pie with sauce. Sprinkle with finely grated lime zest.
Ensure your bowl and beaters are clean, dry and grease free before whisking the egg whites. Rub with a little lemon juice to get rid of any traces of grease.
If you don’t have a piping bag, simply spread the meringue over the pie, then create peaks with the back of a spoon.